R E C I P E S #2
Welcome to our recipe section of CookingOnTv.net, a website cooking TV channel. We have come up with great recipes for you to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with family, friends and your special someone. So get your pots, pans and bowls out and let’s get cooking.
1/2 lb Brussels sprouts (Frozen), 2 lb Red Potatoes scrubbed & cubed 1/2″, 1 lb Irish pork sausage sliced 1″ pieces, 1 lb ham 1/2 cubes, 1/2 lb carrots 1/2 cubes, 1 lb onion 1″ pieces, 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, 1/2 teaspon ground black pepper, 1 cup chicken stock
Note: You may substitute bratwurst or any garlic flavored sausage available.
Place all ingredients in to a Dutch oven or Heavy duty soup pot. Add enough water to cover by 1″
Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce to medium, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Uncover and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Add water if needed.
Serve with a slice of soda bread.
Prepare coffee using a drip coffee maker make it strong.
- 4 oz coffee
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 oz Irish wiskey
- whipped cream to top
In a 6 oz mug put loz sugar and pour in 4 oz coffee stir to desolve sugar add 1oz Irish whiskey and top with a tablespoon whipped cream.
This is a very basic recipe so feel free to improvise with the various amounts, (I tend to up the amount of whiskey, but that’s just me.)
Option : 1/2 oz of a Irish cream liquor.
- 1 (8 pound) bone – in ham with rind removed 1/4 cup whole coves
- 1 pound brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup unsweetned pineaple juice 2 cups sangria wine.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Use a sharp knife to score the ham 1/4 inch deep in a diamond pattern. Place in a good sized roaster with the fat side up, and stud in a decoratve manner with the whole cloves.. be sure to use plenty. Pack the top of the ham with the whole pound of brown sugar to coat the surface as thickly as possible. Some may fall off into the pan, but thtat can not be helped. Leave it thereto sweeten the basting juices needed in later steps.
- Roast, uncovered, until the sugar begins to melt, about 20 minutes. During this time, mix together the pineapple juice and sangria. When the sugar has begun to melt, pour one cup of wine mixture over the ham, and return the ham to the oven for 40 minutes. I often tent the ham with foil at some piont, but my mother never did.
- After one hour in the oven, baste the ham with with a second cup of the wine mixture,
stirring it into the pan drippings. Return the ham to the oven for 2 more hours, basting after the first hour with the remaining wine mixture.
- Lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees F ( 165 degrees C) and baste the ham every 20 minutes with the pan drippings for the final hour of cooking. A meat thermometer should read 160 degrees F (65 degrees C) before serving.
Darin Mandarin Oranges – reserve 10 – 12 slices. Chop remaining oranges and darin again until needed. Combne Pudding mix until thickened.
Layer chopped and darined oranges in bottom for pie crust and pore mixture to fill.
Refrigerate for 2 hrs. Until firm.
To serve put dollops of whpped cream around the top of tart and top with a slice of orange
Sprinkle shaved chocolate on top, if you have small candy hearts place next to orange slices. ( A romantic touch)
CREAMY STIRRED CUSTARD
PREP: 10 min; COOK: 20 min;
COOL; 30: min
CHILL: 2 hr
Makes 5 servings
This custard is terrific as a pudding , served as a sauce or for making place designs.
3 large eggs, 1/3 cup sugar, Dash of salt, 2 1/2 cups milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Beat eggs slightly in heavy 2-quart saucepan. Stir in sugar and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat 15 to 20 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture just coats a metal spoon; remove from heat. Stir vanilla.
2. Place saucepan in cold water until custard is cool. (If custard curdles, beat vigorously with hand beater until smooth.) Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 48 hours. Refrigerate any remaining dessert.
1/3 cup mayonnaise, 1 Tbsp ketchup, 1 Tbsp sweet pickle relish, 2 tsp cider vinegar, 4 slices rye bread 6 oz sliced Swiss cheese (4 to 8 slices), 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
Whisk together mayonnaise, ketchup, relish, vinegar, and 1/8 tsp each of salt and pepper. Spread on bread and make sandwiches with turkey, sauerkraut, and cheese.
IRISH SODA BREAD
4 cups all purpose flour (substitute 1 cup bread flour for a lighter texture), 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon double acting baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoon baking soda, 6 tablespoons cold butter cut in 1/2 “cubes,1 1/2 cups dark seedkess raisins or currants,1 tablespoon caraway seeds, 2 eggs, 1 1/2 cup buttermilk *If you don’t have buttermilk substitute, 1 tablespoon vinegar and whole milk to equal 1 1/2 cups let stand for 5 to 8 minutes.
Pre-heat oven 350 degrees F.
In large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt to combine.
Cut in butter to a coarse crumb
Mix in raisins and caraway seeds.
In a separate bowl beat eggs and buttermilk together, then stir into dry ingredients until combined. Knead 6 -10 times and form dough into a ball about 6″ around
Put on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet, cut a large X on top, bake for 1 hour and 10 min. Check for doneness with a toothpick continue to cook 10 min longer if needed. Cool on rack and serve!
BAKED HALIBAT WITH MASHED POTATOS & TURNIPS
BAKED HALIBAT WITH MASHED POTATOS & TURNIPS
1 Table olive oil, 2 Ibs Potatoes 1inch cubes, 2 Ibs carrots 1 inch slices, 1 Ib onion 1inch slices, 1 1/2 cup white wine, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon butter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place Potatoes, carrots oil onion in a cassarole dish coat with olive oil and season with 1/4 teaspoon each of thyme, oregano, pepper and salt.
Bake in oven for 15min – uncovered.
Remove from oven ( careful it will be hot.) Salt and pepper fish fillets and lay on top of vegetables add 1/2 cup wine. Cover tightly with Aluminum foiland to oven for 15 to 20 min. For sauce pan add 1 cup wine and stock and 1/4 teaspoons of thyme, oregeno pepper. Reduce by half check tastes and ad salt if needed remove from heat and stir in 1 tablespoon butter.
LO BOSWORTH’S FLAG CAKE
Serve 12 Cake
3 cups of white sugar, 3 cups white flour, 1/3 cup cornstarch, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teasoon baking soda, 2 1/4 sticks of unsalted butter, soft (Leave it out for an hour or so.), 6 eggs at room temp, 1 cup of non-fat greek ypgurt, room temp, 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
Heat oven to 350 degrees, cream butter and sugar together until fuffy for 3 – 4 mins. Taking the paddle off the mixer and scraping down the bowl every couple of minutes. Add eggs one at a time to the mixing bowl until incorporated, then yoguart and vanilla.
Sift together dry ingredients over a piece of parchment paper, then pick up the oarchment paper by both ends and gently funnel the dry ingredients into the net on low. Becareful to not over mix!
Pour batter into a buttered 18X13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Make sure to check the center of your cake using a wooden skewer. If the stick doesn’t come out clean, cook for 5 to 10 more minutes, checking every 5 minutes. Once your cake is done, flip it onto a large cutting board to cool overnight wrapping with plastic wrap.
Frosting and topping.
2-3 cups of powered sugar ( I say 2-3 because 1 play with if to get the right consistency.)
8 oz. of cream cheese
8 oz. of non – fat, plain greek yogurt ( 1 perfer chobani)
1/2 cup of butter (or Earth Balance – it’s vegan in addition to being yum) softened to room temp.
Couple drops of vanilla extract.
one big squeeze of lemon juice from half a lemon.
2 packages of fresh Raspberries
2 Packages of fresh Blueberries
whip up the butter, cream cheese and yogurt in a mixer. Add the powder sugar until the consistency and sweetness is where you want it. Add the vanilla extact and lemon to taste. Frost a crumble layer on the cake by applying a thin layer on the cake by applying a thin layer of frosting all around. Place cake in the fridge for ten minutes to set. Fost the presentation layer of the cake on top of the crumble layer. Wash and dry berries completely, and decorate cake in the design of an American flag.
MOLASSES SANDWICH COOKIES
2 cup A/P flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup shortening, 1/2 cup light molasses, 1 egg, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/3 cup cold water
Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
mix all ingredients in a bowl to combine drop mixture by Rounded tablespoon on to a lightly greased cookie sheet 2″ apart Bake 8 to 10 min. Remove to cooling rack once cool take a cookie and apply a generous amount of frosting (Yes, you can use Pre-made store bought, I won’t tell) Since this is for St. Patty’s day green frosting would be a nice touch. Top with second cookie. A light dusting of powdered sugar wouldn’t hurt.
Goes great with an Irish coffee.
MASHED POTATOES & TURNIPS
2 Ibs turnip Pealed and cubed
2 Ibs Potatoes Pealed and cubed.
1 teaspoon salt, 4 tablespoon butter – room temp, 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup cheese shredded – white cheddar or swiss, 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
Put potatoes ad turnips in a Dutch oven and cover with cold waterby 1 inch add 1 teaspon salt and bring to a bol cook until fork tender 10 – 12 min. Drain and return to pot add butter and mash slowly add milk and mart to combine add cheese and chopped green onions to combie cover tokep warm.
Place 1/2 cup potato/turnip mixture in the middle of plate
arrange baked vegatable around mixture and lay fish on top
Drizzle with sauce and a sprinkle of chopped parsley or chopped green onion
Don’t forget the soda bread.
DEEP FRIED TURKEY
3 gallons peanut oil for frying, 1 (12 pound) whole turkey, neck and giblets removed, 1/4 cup creole removed, 1 white onion
1. In a large stockpot or fryer, heat oil to 400 degrees F (200) . Be sure to leave room for the turkey, or he oil will spill over. Layer a large wiith food – safe paper bags.
2. Rinse turkey, and thororghly pat dry with paper towels, rub creole seasoning over turkey inside and out. Make sure the hole at the neck is open at least 2 inch so the oil can flow freely through the bird.
3. Place the whole onion and turkey in drain basket. The turkey should be placed in neck end first. slowly lower basket into hot oil to completely over turkey. Maintain the temperature of the oil to at 350 degrees F ( 175 degrees C.) and cook turkey for 3 1/2 minutes per pound , about 45 minutes.